Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dry Cream Soup

In an effort to "DIY" our house and save money on stuff we spend a ton on, like.  Cream soups, a dollar a can, and.. a lot of recipes we use take several cans.  

So I found a recipe online that gave a base of powdered milk.


 4 cups of powdered milk, 3 cups of corn starch, 3/4 cups onions.

1 cup bullion
 4 t each of basil, thyme and ground pepper.  Much like the original creator I didn't have Thyme so I originally planned on using parsley.
 I then remembered I had Thyme that was dried in the fridge.  So I  chopped it up.
To use in a recipe of a substitute of one can of condensed cream soup, mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water. Cook until thick.  I do a lot of these recipes in the crock-pot, I've just been tossing in the ingredients, for cream of mushroom, I used canned mushrooms and used the juice in place of some of the water.  Boiled down a bit of broccoli and used that water and chopped broccoli. 

It's much less fattening.  Enjoy!

Dry Cream Soup

4 cups non-fat dried milk
3 cups cornstarch
1 cup bouillon of your choice
3/4 C freeze dried minced onions
4 teaspoons each dried basil, dried thyme & pepper
One can of condensed cream soup= mix 1/3 cup dry mix with 1 1/4 cup water. Cook until thick

No comments:

Post a Comment