Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemade Laundry Soap

 I decided to try saving even more money.. I watched for random items to go on sale.  Deciding to try my own soap.  Some mixes you find online suggest using different bars of soap.  I can honestly say, it doesn't matter.  I like Castile soap because it has a coconut smell, and is all natural.


I grated everything.  I got the castile soap on sale, so, I did many bars that day.  So I only had to clean the grater once.

I created 4 bags.  After making this recipe I found a site that shows how to make super washing soda from baking soda.  I'll try that soon & post the results.  This is an idea I took from Pinterest.  The original can be found here.


I take all the boxes, mix them together with 1 bag of my castile soap, I put them in a 3 gallon bucket & bagged them for use in the laundry room.  I've yet to get a container.  We stopped using softner, I've replaced it with vinegar, which, helps the smell of our top loading washer and use softner just for homemade dryer sheets.  But of course, that's another post :)

Using 2 T of this mix in your wash replaces the cups of the store made kind you buy.  I can honestly say I don't miss tide, but I definitely love the money that's in our pocket!

Homemade Laundry Soap:

1 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz)

1 4 lb box Baking Soda (1.81 kg)
1  box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz)
3 bars of Castile soap- grated

Mix all ingredients, use 2 T for a large load in cold, warm or hot water.

No comments:

Post a Comment