Friday, March 9, 2012

The day of cooking

I cannot begin to stress how important it is to plan. I am not a planner by nature, I have to force myself to sit down and create menu's and believe me, I start the day I end from the previous batch of meals. Little steps.

First things first:

Make sure you are well fed, not only will you want to eat everything you make, but it will take that much longer.

Keep hydrated. Coffee, milk, water, whatever your vice.



Take a few breaks, be willing, but do it in steps. I chop everything up and take a break, maybe watch a 1/2 hour of tv, do something other than look at food, this is also a good time to grab a snack.

Step Two: Cut. Be aware that this is going to take up every bowl you own, not me, Cory says I'm the bowl queen, I have 5 different sets, in all sizes. Just for this.

Chicken, I cut up a lot of chicken, sometimes I'll marinade it and then chop, but this time I had stuff like pot pies that called for plain chicken, so I cut it up first.



Next, I shredded, a lot. Cheese was on sale last week, this was 1 lb of cheese.


Since, we are prepared, I had bags to put the cheese in and they were labeled with dates, 3- 2 cup bags out of $3.69 of cheese. That's 3 normal bags, for 1/3rd the cost.


I wish I had gotten more pictures of prep, but this is what my kitchen looks like as everything cools. It has to be room temp before it hits your freezer. READ: Do not, I repeat not, put hot stuff in your freezer.

As our freezer loses space while we cook things, I try to keep it organized. My husband needs water bottles every day that are frozen so a special spot in the freezer is designated for them. I didn't put all the breakfast burritos in the house freezer, we have a freezer in our garage that I put extras in, but all this, plus some was all in the freezer, I brought all our chicken in.


Hopefully by now, you've done a little freezer cooking or omom (one month of meals) googling and looked at some of the recipes you'd like. You'll notice I still keep frozen veggies on hand, and everything is wrapped in freezer paper then tin foil and labeled.

No comments:

Post a Comment